Thursday, October 13, 2011

Husband Approved Chicken Pot Pie

As a new wife, I've been trying to live up to my impossibly high expectation of being a gourmet cook. My husband eats a LOT, so I've also been challenged to cook enough food for three people - myself, my husband, and his second stomach. My husband has been a wonderful sport about being a guinea pig. I've been trying all sorts of new recipes. I'm a competent cook, but I'm not gourmet or creative. I have tried so many new recipes lately, some of which my husband said he would like again and some he wasn't too crazy about. In my defense, all were edible and we even polished off the leftovers! Finally, he asked me if I had any "staple" recipes that I loved to make. I answered with the usual lasagna, pasta dishes, pork fried rice, and chicken pot pie. His face lit up when I said chicken pot pie. He begged until I made it for him and I am so glad I did! He talked about it for two days!!!

I'm going to give you this very, very simple recipe for the Husband Approved Chicken Pot Pie. BUT, here is a warning: this is NOT a gourmet, fancy, intricate, or expensive dinner. If you are looking to impress guests, do not make this. However, if you want something easy and comforting, make this tonight!

Chicken Pot Pie

Heat oven to 350.

You'll need:
1 pckg of pre-made pie crusts (I use store brand!)
2 cups of pre-cooked chicken (I use about half of a rotisserie chicken)
2 or 3 baking potatoes, peeled and diced
Carrots, diced
Broccoli, roughly chopped
2 cans Healthy Request Cream of Chicken soup
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
Large dollop of sour cream (if you have it)

Pre-cook your potatoes until fork tender.
Steam the carrots and broccoli for about 5-7 minutes.
Put all the ingredients (minus the pie crusts) in a bowl and mix. I added a large dollop of sour cream to the mixture until it looked creamy enough.
Unroll one pie crust and place in bottom of a greased 9 inch pie dish. Pour the mixture into the pie dish and cover with remaining pie crust. Pinch the crusts together. Cut slits in the top.
Cook for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.

This recipe is also good for using up other leftovers. You could add whatever veggies you have on hand or substitute turkey or ham for the chicken. Make it your own or make it how your husband, kids, or friends would actually eat!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment