Sunday, October 16, 2011

Going Green: Soft Scrub

For most of these "green" products, I have to give a big shout-out to my fabulous mother, Jan:


She has her own "green only" cleaning business. So, basically... she is a professional and a genius. Trust me.

This is her recipe for a "soft scrub." I use this in the shower, toilet, and sink areas. She only likes to use it for the shower. However, I have this weird tendency to want to know that something was "scrubbed" really well in order to be clean. Just make it and see how you like it, but definitely try it on the shower! I used it this morning and it even took off the soap scum from the awful glass doors we have on the master bath shower.

You'll need:

1 & 2/3 C baking soda
1/2 C water
1/2 C Castille Liquid Soap (I used unscented)
2 Tbsp white vinegar
A few drops of an essential oil (I used tea tree oil because I like its disinfectant quality)
Bottle to hold solution (I used a 20oz recycled Coke bottle)

Directions:
Mix baking soda, water, and liquid soap together in a bowl.

Add the vinegar. Don't be alarmed when it fizzles!


Stir together well and then add drops of the essential oil. Add however much you like - you may like a stronger scent than I do.


Give it one last stir, pour into whatever container you like and close the lid tightly. Done!

When you are ready to use this, you may notice that the scrub has gotten a little stiff. Give it a good shake or add a few drops of water and another good shake. It'll loosen up and work its magic on your shower. I use an old washcloth turned rag and just scrub away!

Happy Cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment