Sunday, December 11, 2011

Homemade Frozen Pizzas

Confession: I love Totino's frozen pizza. Seriously, I love it. Probably because it is horribly bad for me and I would only eat it every once in a blue moon when I was having a tough day or week. Anyways, in my effort to have enough food and snacks in the house for a big, strong Coastie, I was wracking my brain for something simple but more healthy to have in the freezer. I ran across the idea of homemade frozen pizza on Pinterest. I followed the pin to a blog and loved the writer's idea. However, I tweaked it for my own knowing our preferences.

Here's what you'll need:

Crust:
4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. sugar
1 T olive oil
1 T oregano
1 t. basil
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
1 & 1/2 C very warm water

Toppings:
1 -2 cans of pizza sauce (I used organic sauce at $.99 each and ended up using only 1 can!)
8 oz. mozzarella cheese
1 pckg turkey pepperoni

Directions:

Mix together 2 cups of flour, the salt, sugar, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and onion powder. Pour in the warm water and add the olive oil. Mix well.

Add another cup of flour. Stir until well mixed.

Place dough on a floured (and lightly oiled) counter and knead until smooth, using the rest of the flour as needed.

Shape dough into a ball, then cut into 8 equal pieces.

Roll out each piece of dough into a 7 inch circle. Place on a cookie sheet. Repeat until you have rolled out all the dough. Two crusts fit on one cookie sheet.

Bake the crusts in a 450 degree oven for 2 minutes. Remove and allow them to cool on the sheets for at least 5 minutes.

Now set up your assembly line for the toppings! I chose organic sauce, mozzarella I shredded myself, and turkey pepperoni. You could use any topping you like!!




Each pizza was on its own piece of wax paper. Once they are assembled, wrap in wax paper and plastic wrap. Place all pizzas in a freezer-safe plastic bag. I wrote the directions on the freezer bag:


(Sorry I couldn't rotate the picture)

Bake at 450 degrees for 13 minutes.


Yummy!!! 

My Coastie makes these for snacks after work and loves them. 

I will definitely make this recipe again. However, I will make less, but larger, crusts (my husband is a healthy man!), but this small size is perfect for me or for kids. The crust is like a thin-crust pizza, so if you don't like that type of crust, you can play around with the dough to find what works best for you.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment