Monday, February 27, 2012

Banana Bread... the healthy way

For some unexplained reason, I had a craving for banana bread. So, I went on the hunt for a "healthy" recipe while my bananas ripened. The bread was better than I had imagined!

Here's what you'll need:


2 C whole wheat flour
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 C applesauce (sugar free)
3/4 honey
2 eggs, beaten
3 mashed overripe bananas (I know mine weren't black yet, but I couldn't wait any longer!)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, mix together applesauce and honey. Stir in eggs (beaten) and mashed bananas until well blended. I left the bananas pretty lumpy because I like to actually see and taste them in the finished bread.


Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten.

Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.


The finished, yummy product!



No comments:

Post a Comment