Saturday, November 5, 2011

Cupcakes and Hamburgers... Together at last!

I love love LOVE to bake. Am I the best? Not by a long shot. But I do like to try new and fun ideas. I saw this recipe on An Accomplished Woman and knew I had to try it. She is as close to the best as I have seen in my day-to-day life! She is truly accomplished at a lot of things, so check out her site!

So last Independence Day (the Fourth of July to some of you), I attempted this recipe:

Hamburger Cupcakes!

I made these for my sister's annual Independence Day party and bonfire. They were gone in under 20 minutes. All the hard work paid off.

Here's what you'll need:
Brownies made according to your favorite recipe or box.
White or vanilla cupcakes made from your favorite recipe or cake mix box.
2 tubs of buttercream icing (unless you know how to make your own, which I didn't at the time)
Food coloring.
Sprinkles to act as "sesame seeds."

Make your brownies and let them cool completely.
Make the cupcakes and cool completely.

Using a 1 or 1 1/2 inch cutter, cut out circles of brownies. Set aside.
Cut each cupcake in half horizontally.

Divide the icing into 3 batches - one for red, yellow, and green.
Mix the food coloring into the individual batches*. Make the colors as vibrant as you like!

*I put the icing in sealable plastic bags and cut a tiny bit of the bottom corner off. It worked like a charm and just like a piping bag!

To assemble:

Place a brownie on the bottom half of a cupcake. Layer with loops of green icing, red icing, and yellow icing. I did loops so that the icing would do all of the cupcakes. Trust me, there will be enough icing and sweetness! Put the top of the cupcake on the top. You don't have to, but I secured each "hamburger" with an toothpick flag. This prevented any accidents on the trip over to the party and made them Oh, so festive.

These are very rich and sweet, but such a great way to end a cook-out!!

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment