Thursday, March 8, 2012

All thanks to Southern Living

My new favorite, go-to, easy recipe came out of the March 2012 Southern Living magazine. I noticed it right away because the picture had some of my favorite foods: chicken, rice, and lots and lots of veggies. So, I attempted making risotto for the first time and I'll never look back! This recipe takes some cooking time, but it is so, SO easy. I halved the recipe because I'm cooking for one. I had leftovers for 2 days, so this will work nicely for 2-3 people. Make it this weekend!

Here's what you'll need for half of the Chicken Risotto with Spring Vegetables:


2 C chicken broth
2 C water
fresh asparagus spears
1-2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 t. herbes de Provence (if you have it; I didn't and it still tasted great!)
salt
1-2 T butter, divided
2 T. olive oil, divided
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash (or 2 zucchini, I just love the color of yellow squash)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3/4 C uncooked Arborio rice (short-grain)
1/2 C dry white wine
1/2 C freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 C freshly grated fontina cheese ( on my second batch, I used only fontina cheese and it was delicious!)
salt & pepper to taste
fresh parsley to garnish

Directions:

Bring chicken broth and water to a simmer in a pot. Prepare veggies.
Slice chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper or herbes de Provence.

Melt 1 T. butter and 1 T. olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat; add chicken, and saute for 5-6 minutes until done. Remove chicken; cover and keep warm.


Melt remaining butter in the dutch oven; add zucchini, squash, onion, and asparagus. Saute 3 minutes until tender. Remove vegetables; cover and keep warm.

Saute rice in remaining 1 T. hot oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium. Add wine and salt. Cook, stirring often until liquid is absorbed.

Add 1 cup broth/water mixture; cook, stirring often until liquid is absorbed. Repeat with broth/water mixture one cup at a time until it is all absorbed. (Total cook time may be 30 minutes)

Once risotto is ready, add in the cheeses, chicken, and vegetables. Stir until creamy. 

Serve immediately with a garnish of parsley and/or pepper. 



Happy eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment