Saturday, October 12, 2013

We Re-Committed

Just recently, we re-committed the United States Coast Guard! The Coastie's current commitment was about to expire, so we thoughtfully made the commitment to continue on this great Coastie adventure.

This was the first ceremony of any kind I have been able to attend as a military spouse. Most of them had taken place out at sea while the Coastie was underway. So I was overly excited about one of the simplest ceremonies in the military. But, to me, this particular ceremony, in this particular political climate held a lot of significance, commitment, dedication, and sacrifice on our parts. The Coastie kept calling the ceremony, "her enlistment" (in speaking of me) because it was the first time since we've been married that he has re-enlisted. So, in a far-fetched way, it was my enlistment. Even though it was the Coastie raising his right hand and swearing to protect and serve, it was also my time to reflect on my commitment to this life of service and sacrifice.

We toyed with the idea of civilian life, but we're not ready. We're not ready to leave behind the security and brotherhood of this life. We're not ready to give up on our dream and passion of serving our country. We're not ready to give up on adventure, seeing new places, or trying new things. Sure, we could find ways to do these things as civilians, but we actually LOVE what we do and the life we painstakingly create for ourself day after day. And as we say in the Coast Guard, Semper Paratus: Always Ready. Since we are not ready to end our commitment to service, we will continue to be ready to serve, protect, and sacrifice.

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."



Semper Paratus

No comments:

Post a Comment